Pete and Repeat

I love tortoises. Many years ago, Pat and I rescued a Sulcata tortoise hatchling from a pet store. Sandy went everywhere with us. I had a leash and she would sit outside and ‘graze’ on the grass with us when we set up at fairs and festivals. At home, she would come out of her house and watch tv with us. She loved bananas and romaine lettuce. They are one of God’s most amazing creatures. When I started crocheting, I found that turtles and tortoises were one of my favorite things to make.

When I was a little girl, Pete, an ‘adopted’ uncle, would always tell me a joke when he came to see us. “Pete and Repeat were walking across a bridge. Pete fell in… who was left?” Of course, I would answer “Repeat: and he would start all over again…amid my endless giggles, we could go on forever… lol!  I named the tortoises Pete and Repeat since you just repeat the girl’s pattern for the boy and just change one round. So, I hope you enjoy Pete and Repeat as much as I do. Have a very Happy Mother’s Day. :)

© 2011 Stephanie Osborne

Materials Needed:

WW Yarn
US “F” Crochet Hook
Polyfil, Stitch Marker, Yarn Needle, safety eyes

sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
hdc = half double crochet
inc = 2 stitches in 1 stitch
sl st = slip stitch
blo = back loops only
flo = front loops only
dec = invisible decrease
fo =  fasten off

Work in rounds without joining. Use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of each round.
Begin with a magic circle.

Head:
Rnd 1:  6 sc in a magic circle. (6)
Rnd 2:  inc in each st around. (12)
Rnd 3:  (inc in next st, sc in next st) repeat around. (18)
Rnd 4:  sc around. (18)
Rnd 5:  (inc in next st, sc in next 2 st) repeat around. (24)
Rnd 6-8:  sc around. (24)
Rnd 9: (dec, sc in next 2 st) repeat around. (18)
<Insert safety eyes now between rnds 5 & 6. I put one eye about 4 st to the left of the beginning of the row if you are holding the head upright and the 2nd eye about 4 st to the left of the first eye but you may want to place them differently.>
Rnd 10:  (dec, sc in next st) repeat around.  <stuff head> (12)
Rnd 11:  (dec, sc in next 2 st) repeat around. (9)
Rnd 12-15:  sc around. (9)
Rnd 16:  ch 1, turn. sc in next 6 st. fo. (6)

Shell:
Rnd 1:  6 sc in a magic circle. (6)
Rnd 2:  inc in each st around. (12)
Rnd 3:  (inc in next st, sc in next st) repeat around. (18)
Rnd 4:  sc around. (18)
Rnd 5:  (inc, sc in next 2 st) repeat around. (24)
Rnd 6:   sc around. (24)
Rnd 7:  (inc, sc in next 3 st) repeat around. (30)
Rnd 8-10:  sc around. (30)

For GIRL:
Rnd 11:  FLO (sc in next 3 st, 2 dc in same st) x 7, sc in last st.
Rnd 12:  stitching in BLO of row 10 (dec, sc in next 3 st) repeat around. (24)
(For BOY: skip rnd 11 and stitch rnd 12 using BLO.)

Rnd 13:  (dec, sc in next 2 st) repeat around. (18)
Rnd 14:  (dec, sc in next st) repeat around. (12)
Rnd 15:  dec around, fo.

Feet: (make 4)
Rnd 1:  6 sc in a magic circle. (6)
Rnd 2:  (inc, sc in next st) repeat around. (9)
Rnd 3:  BLO sc in next 3 st, HDC in next 3 st, sc in last 3 st. (9)
Rnd 4-5:  sc around. (9)
fo.

Tail:
Ch 4, sl st in 2nd chain from hook, sl st in next chain, sc in last chain. fo.

Assembly notes: When sewing the head to the shell, I line up the last round on the head just below the shell edge. Once I sew the neck to the shell, I run the thread up through the shell and stitch the head to the shell for stability. Also, it helps to stuff the head firmly but to stuff the neck lightly the further down you go on it. Another helpful not, I use beans in the feat for stuffing for weight so the tortoise is not too top heavy. You could use beans or pellets or even put those or rice in a stocking and put in the shell to give it some weight.

© 2011 Stephanie Osborne  Please do not sell or distribute this pattern; instead just post a  link to the original, (http://rockin4god.com/2011/05/pete-and-repeat)   I don’t mind you using the items you make however you wish but please give credit to me as the pattern designer. I would love to see your photos when you make your own Pete and Repeat tortoises.  Please use your own photos when posting your work. Feel free to leave comments. Thank you and God bless. :)

28 Responses to “Pete and Repeat”

• Knitrageous says:

I had to laugh when I saw these. My mamaw used to tell us when we were small if she’d ever had twins she would have named them Pete and Repeat! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern!

• Snowcatcher says:

These are adorable, and the names really got me chuckling. You have a beautiful blog, fun to look at as well as read!

• Marion says:

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed that turtle story, I too love animals and will love trying these.

Thanks again
    Marion

• Rachel says:

I just finished my first turtle and I love it. I found one typo in round 12 of the girl shell, did you mean the back loops of round 10? I used the round 10 loops and it came out fine. You’re very talented. Try a turtle with Red Heart’s Watercolor for the shell and Honeydew for the other parts :)

Thanks for the great pattern

• Stephanie says:

Hi. Thank you and so glad you liked her. :) I can bet she would be pretty with those colors. Would love to see a pic. :) I see what you are saying about round 10 loops. Took me a minute but yes, it would be easier to understand worded that way. I will make the corrections. Thanks!

• J.L. Manson says:

Enjoyed your turtle patterns. They remind me of
    my tortoise, Myrtle-The-Turtle, who just had her
    23rd birthday. I got her as a baby….she was
    raised with Persian cats….and acts like a cat.
    After 23 years, I learned from the Vet that she is
    really “Burtle-The-Turtle”. We truly enjoy her as
    a pet!!!!!

• Stephanie says:

Loved hearing the story of Myrtle the Turtle. My grandma had a neighbor named Myrtle and when I was very young, I affectionately called her Myrtle Turtle. :) I doubt Burtle minds being called Myrtle. (=

• Alyssa says:

So I had a quick question….when you say: “I don’t mind you using the items you make however you wish” does that imply that you don’t mind if we sold our “turtles”? I was just wondering :)

• Stephanie says:

No, I don’t mind if you sell your turtles but please don’t sell the pattern. If you would like to add a tag that credits Rockin4God.com for the pattern to your turtles you sell, that would be awesome but not required. Thanks!

• Kat says:

Fantastic crochet work!

I live in South Africa and it’s really difficult for me to get hold of some nice modern, colourful and creative crochet patterns, so I’m very glad that google found your website :-) I too have 2 tortoises of my own, and think they are fab (real ones!). They eat my weeds :-)

Thanks for the good explanations.

Kat

• Victoria says:

Fabulous pattern, Stephanie. I am notorious for not following patterns and winging it a bit. But I followed yours to a T and my little guy turned out just perfectly.

I don’t think I can add a picture here, but here is the link to the blog post I just wrote :)

• Cynthia Lowry says:

Have had so much fun making these! Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. For sure the cutest crochet pattern available on the web! And it’s free to boot. What a deal! Hey, by the way, how do I post picks of the turtle i made?

• Shannon says:

I just made him today (Ester LOL) I think I did ok for my first try. I am teaching myself how to crochet.

• Lori says:

I made Pete today and he is soooooooo cute!

I hope the pic pulls up.

• Nancy Pouder says:

These are 2Cute! I have been looking for a turtle pattern that I can adapt and this is going to be perfect, as I actually need “2″ and this gives me 2 slightly different! I need to add wings to make “Two turtle doves…” for Christmas squeaky toys and smaller version for catnip toys! I will send pictures after I do them!!

• Linda says:

Love these little turtles. I made one and attached it to a security blankie for my new grand son. is parents call him a turtle so was looking for a turtle pattern when I found them. Very easy pattern. Thank You. I would share a picture but am not sure how to
    Linda